What are the signs and symptoms of toad venom poisoning?
If a dog bites or pick up a toad in its mouth profuse salivation and attempts of vomiting takes place. Gums become red and inflamed.This is followed by shaking and pressing of head towards a hard object. Fever, difficulty in breathing, weakness, diarrhea occurs. Heart is also affected causing heart failure. In severe cases death occurs.
How is toad venom poisoning diagnosed?
Based on signs and symptoms like profuse salivation, inflamed gum etc. It is also diagnosed by EKG showing abnormal heart rhythms.
How is toad venom poisoning treated in dogs and cats?
(a) Remove the toxin from teeth and gums
(b) Teeth and gums can be rubbed with a cloth which contains human tooth paste
(c) Wash the mouth with clean water
(d) Atropine sulphate at a dose of 0.25-0.5mg/kg b.wt s/c
(e) Anti convulsive drugs like barbiturates, diazepam
(f) Cardiac drugs like propranolol.
How to prevent and control toad venom poisoning?
(a) Control toad population
(b) Don’t let your dog roam outside during night time
(c) Train your dog not to attack the toad.